User group meeting & agenda 17 September 2008Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Proposing ideas for this agenda
To propose or discuss ideas for this agenda, please use the Discussion tab above. As the meeting draws near, we will review the items proposed on the Discussions page and decide which ones should get highest priority on the agenda.
- Assignment of time keeper and note taker
- Introduction of new members: 10 seconds for name and desired takeaways.
- Prayer --
- Review of Minutes
- Today's agenda preview
Special Alert -- New Design for Research Wiki -- Providing Feedback
1. Adding a signature line in forums (Mollie)
2. Using the Wiki Product Backlog list effectively -- Michael Ritchey
Carryover from Last Week
Best practices for handling long lists -- Darris and others
How to Add citations
FamilySearch Wiki (two words) vs. FamilySearchWiki (all one word) -- James Anderson
Warm vs. dry invitation -- -- David Samuelsen
Embedded Google maps -- David Samuelsen
Facilitator was Jimmy Parker], Note taker was Geoff Morris, Time keeper was [Add name here].
As of just before the start of the user group meeting this week, there were 4,151 registered users. That is an increase of 196 new registered users of the FamilySearch Wiki over last week.
Jimmy Parker, Michael Ritchey, Geoff Morris, Jim Anderson, David Samuelson, Mollie Forbes, Anne Roach, Steven Bobowski, Joan Healey, Fran Jensen, and others
(Anne Roach), Thomas Lerman, Lise Embley, Lynda Purcell, Judy Wolverton, Debbie Edward, Darris Williams
Wiki Mtg. Minutes
- Jimmy -- Introduced change to home page formatting. Please give positive and negative (HONEST) feedback to the Wiki Feedback and & Suggestions forum. There is a bug in IE 6 that changes the navigation / toolbox to the bottom of the page, rather than to the right side as found in Firefox. Give Feedback on: • Tabs missing • Search moved left to right • Everything left to right.
- Mollie -- For Forums, Mollie introduced signature lines. • Shown with a ____________ with your name underneath with a icon • To do this: log in • Click on user Cp • Scroll down to edit and options • Edit signature • Click on save. Mollis also addressed different username and password with Wiki than Forums. It is that way for now, but this will be one of the first items that will be integrated.
- Jimmy -- Used to have Wiki Product backlog list • 6+ months ago, created a list of user suggestions • The team tries to make changes in 3-week sprints • It was decided that the list would be on the Wiki, where users can see the process.
- Thomas_Lerman found the product backlog page at FamilySearch Wiki:Suggestions for Engineering . You can find that link on the bottom of the main users' group meeting article. Thomas Lerman 21:35, 17 September 2008 (UTC)
- Best practices for long lists has been moved to next week's meeting.
- How to add citations will be handled in future meeting.
- James Anderson raised the issue of using the terms FamilySearch Wiki (two words) vs. FamilySearchWiki (one word) • Discussion of tags, meta tags, etc. (techi talk). Whenever FamilySearch Wiki is used in the title or body of an article, it should be referred to with the space between FamilySearch and Wiki, rather than running all terms together. This will allow search engines to digest it better.
"Warm vs Dry invitation" was raised by David Samuelson. • He passed out papers as an activity of how to state a Welcome to portal page, or Welcome to State by way of identification. For example: Welcome to the California Portal or Welcome to California, the Golden State. Which is a warmer invitation? A discussion of standardization and redundancy, as well as best practices ensued. The following possibilities for improvement of the Portal Pages were listed on the white board for consideration:
- Portal: Oregon
- [How to do research in ] Oregon
- Add “Family History” in Oregon vs. Genealogy
- Add in main content box on portal pg. that the page is about research in that area.
- Oregon State
- Leave the blue bar blank (the subpage)
- Omit “Welcome” Msg on top box.
- Put topics on top box
- In Dark bar put establishment date
- Give feedback on new user interface.
- Create your signature line.
- Suggest how to organize Backlog list on the Wiki for easy editing.
- Best practices for long lists will be addressed by Darris Williams.
- Thomas Lerman, Michael Ritchey, and Mollie Forbes will coordinate the topic of citations for next week.
- This page was last modified on 9 October 2014, at 07:55.
- This page has been accessed 1,059 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page