User group meeting & agenda 1 October 2008Edit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Contents

Proposing ideas for this agenda

To propose or discuss ideas for this agenda, please use the Discussion tab above. As the meeting draws near, we will review the items proposed on the Discussions page and decide which ones should get highest priority on the agenda.

Agenda

Administrative items

  1. Assignment of time keeper and note taker
  2. Introduction of new members: 10 seconds for name and desired takeaways.
  3. Prayer --
  4. Review of Minutes
  5. Today's agenda preview

Information items

  • New unique resource coming from new user and longtime employee Noel Cardon (Michael).
  • Our first attack on the forums (Michael).
  • The reorganization of the Support and Library division and new players on the wiki team (Michael).

Discussion items

Carryover from Last Week

  • Vote on navigation bar (right or left layout)
  • Discussion in forum re. diacritics.

New Items

  • Barn Raising: What is it, how do we plan one, what does it entail, and who would like to help plan the first one (for New York state). (Michael)

Minutes

Facilitator was Michael Ritchey.  Note taker was Jimmy Parker, Time keeper was [Add name here].

Prayer by Jimmy Parker. 

The total number of registered users of the FamilySearch Wiki as of this week is 4,648.  That is an increase of 387 new registered users over last week.

Attendees

Michael Ritchey, David Samuelson, James Anderson, Ann Roach, Daniel Longmore, Mollie Forbes, Jimmy B. Parker, Joan Healey, Charlene Pipkin, Lisa McBride, Chris Whittaker, Phillip Dunn, David Dilts

Remote Attendees

(Anne Roach), Thomas Lerman, Debbie Edward, Lise Embley, Fran Jensen

Items Discussed

Information Items:

  • Noel Cardon, a long-time employee of the Family History Department, has an interest in the Pacific. She has created an index to Pacific Island families, leading users to the exact roll of microfilm for that collection in the Family History Library.  She will also find others who are interested in the Pacific Islands to add information to the Wiki.
  • There has been a spam attack on the Wiki site this morning. It has been handled to block porn entries.
  • Reorganization of the Family History Library has added some new members to the Wiki team. -- Members of the teacm are now Diane Loosli, Michael Ritchey, Ann Roach, Mollie Forbes, Alan Mann, Darren Haackes, Brent Summerhays.

Carryover from Last Week:

  • If the placement of the Navigation Bar matters to us, we all need to comment on the proper forum. We also need to request the attention of key managers and production people, prefereably in the Users Group Meeting.
  • For the time being, Michael will continue to be the manager of the team for the development of the content of the Wiki. He also gave a brief introduction to virtual reference.
  • Last week we had a discussion about using diacritics in the titles of Wiki arrticles. A new thread has been established in the Wiki Feedback Forum and needs the attention of all the users who are affected by that subject. Please add comments on the forum.

New Items:

  • "Barn-raising concept" -- Working in isolation takes a long time to complete a project. When a large, talented crew focus on a single project, such as in the home remodeling TV shows, a large project can be done in a short amount of time. It might be best to start with a small project with a team that can meet together often until a process is developed. A thread will be created on the forum for comment. Planning for the first "barn-raising" is to be created in the current sprint (which ends on October 15th) and then the first project to be completed in the next sprint (ending mid-November).
ITEMS LISTED ON THE WHITEBOARD:
Product design -- What you produc e will look like -- elements
Skill sets of players
Assignment of roles
Place
How many contributors?
Lists of tasks
Lists of sources
Research Assistants
Very spec ific goal (i.e. answer 80% of patron questions)
Find what people know & get them to contribute
Very clear customer in mind

Action Items

  1. Add comments to the Wiki Feedback Forum regarding placement of the Navigation Bar.
  2. Add comments to the Wiki Feedback Forum regarding the use od diacritics in title of pages and elsewhere in the English language Wiki.
  3. Add comments in the Wiki Feedbackl Forum regarding the barn-raising concept.

 

Need additional research help? Contact our research help specialists.

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).

  • This page was last modified on 22 April 2010, at 10:03.
  • This page has been accessed 878 times.