User group meeting & agenda 8 October 2008Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Proposing ideas for this agenda
To propose or discuss ideas for this agenda, please use the Discussion tab above. As the meeting draws near, we will review the items proposed on the Discussions page and decide which ones should get highest priority on the agenda.
- Assignment of time keeper and note taker
- Introduction of new members: 10 seconds for name and desired takeaways.
- Prayer -- Michael Ritchey
- Review of Minutes
- Today's agenda preview
Carryover from Last Week
- Review skin changes
- Linking to commercial Websites (Michael).
- Removing obsolete PDF (formerly paper) publications (Jimmy).
- Citing sources (Jimmy).
Facilitator was Michael Ritchey, Note taker was Jimmy B. Parker, Time keeper was [Add name here].
Prayer by Michael Ritchey
The total number of registered users of the FamilySearch Wiki as of the start of this week's user group meeting is 4,803. That is an increase of 155 new registered users over the last week.
James Anderson, David Crowther, David Dilts, Anne Roach, Jimmy B. Parker, Thomas Lerman, Michael Ritchey, David Samuelsen, Phill Dunn
(Anne Roach), (Thomas Lerman), Francisco, Mollie Forbes, Debbie Edward, Lise Embley
- Discussion on diacritics will be deferred until later
- Skin changes and problems were presented by David Crowther.
- Some problems are known and are being worked on, such as the navigation bar dropping to the bottom of pages if IE6 is used and font size is set at larger or largest.
- Consideration is being given to having two skins -- one for users and one for contributors.
- David Crowther also presented some possibilities of using Google Custom Search within the Research Wiki. A possible problem is how often Google reindexes the site.
- A discussion regarding linking to commercial sites. Michael Ritchey and David Dilts suggest that we should tell our users about commercial sites and tell them they are "for fee" sites, if they are the best sites. Some of the links to Ancestry.com may be being added by our missionaries.
- Removing links to the old research outlines, which have been auto-imported into the Wiki, was discussed. Links to the old research outlines should be removed. The question is how to do that.
- Jimmy Parker -- Send Michael the link to the statement in the Guiding Principles document about "free" links.
- Don Stringham and Chris Johnson should be invited to the next meeting to determine how to find all the links to the old research outlines so they can be removed.
- This page was last modified on 22 April 2010, at 10:04.
- This page has been accessed 770 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki