User group meeting agenda & minutes 14 May 2008Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Proposing ideas for this agenda
To propose or discuss ideas for this agenda, please use the Discussion tab above. As the meeting draws near, we will review the items proposed on the Discussions page and decide which ones should get highest priority on the agenda.
- Assignment of time keeper, note taker, and facilitator
- Introduction of members: 10 seconds for name and desired takeaways.
- Today's agenda preview
- Where we'll look for initial ideas to cover (feedback page and agenda discussion page)
- Where to propose items for next agenda
- Tech moment: how to change text of a link, redirects. (Fran)
Links to external websites are created differently than links to other pages in the wiki. To create an internal link, simply add double brackets both before and after the title of the page:
(double brackets) article title (double brackets)
If you want to display something other than the exact name of the article, and the pipeline and a space between the exact name and the name you wish to display.
(double brackets) exact name of article (insert pipeline by typing shift+\) name to be displayed (double brackets)
To create an external link to another website, the full path of the website address is not something we want to display on the page itself. Instead of adding a pipeline between the URL and the name to display, simply add a space. Also, when adding external links, only single brackets are used:
(single bracket) website address, including the http (space) name to display (single bracket)
Instructions for redirecting pages can be found at Help:Redirects
- Editing etiquette and collaborating on/offline (Anne) When using forums and discussion pages, we should be professional and kind at all times. Try to find solutions that will work for everybody. Give constructive comments. Form a users group to determine standards and solutions for a particular area such as the Native Americans page.
- What are the most effective ways we can coach reluctant authors through their technical issues? (Anne) Help them understand who they can go to with questions or to add info for them. We might have video instruction. Could we have a user group on Skype? Get help through the existing user forum. No one can do permanent damage because we can roll back to a previous version of a page. Possibilities: online classes; senior community centers; short workshops at the FHL; help/create help in the wiki itsself.
- Handling naming variations within articles to help users locate all of the information (Anne) Discontinued localities. Variations of names such as Preussen and Prussia. Mark Feickert is working on a search technology that will allow a search to find variations such as this latter example. Idaho example of what can be done: On Portal page, a link to discontinued county name to a page that explains the change and sends you to the new counties. Another example: Klamath County, California.
Facilitator was Anne Roach, Note taker was Barbara Baker, Time keeper was Jimmy Parker.
Anne Roach, Barbara Baker, Jimmy Parker, Mark Feickert, Fran Jensen, Joan Healey, Charlene Pipkin, David Samuelson, James Anderson, Don Stringham, Jim Ison, Geoff Morris, Steve Lebowsky.
Remote: Thomas Lerman, Gary Foster
- This page was last modified on 22 April 2010, at 10:05.
- This page has been accessed 724 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More