User group meeting agenda & minutes 30 Apr 2008Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Proposing ideas for this agenda
To propose or discuss ideas for this agenda, please use the Discussion tab above. As the meeting draws near, we will review the items proposed on the Discussions page and decide which ones should get highest priority on the agenda.
- Assignment of time keeper, note taker, and facilitator
- Introduction of members: 10 seconds for name and desired takeaways.
- Today's agenda preview
- Where we'll look for initial ideas to cover (feedback page and agenda discussion page)
- Where to propose items for next agenda
- Barbara Baker will share what she's been adding in the Wiki
- Chris Johnson will discuss system updates to the Wiki and also the error message Wiki authors are getting.
- Fran will discuss the old forum posts and threads.
- Sammy did a demo on http://www.picnik.com/, a free (basic) web service for editing images, etc.
Discuss the file location for files such as an uploaded graphic. Where does it live? When we update a version does the original automatically delete?
Disambiguation We are looking at the need to begin creating disambiguation pages to resolve conflicts in title articles. What are your thoughts and ideas for implementing (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Disambiguation for details):
- In Wikipedia, the disambiguation links are at the top of an article. The links are "notes that link the readers to Wikipedia articles with similar titles or concepts that the reader may have been seeking instead of the article in which the links appear." (ibid.)
- "Non-article pages that contain no content and only refer users to other Wikipedia pages." (ibid.)
Current Forum discussions that have the possibility of being resolved through implementing Disambiguation links and pages:
- How to name a town within an article title?
- Place naming conventions: Including country in title of article regarding the county.
- How to recommend the naming of townships in article titles?
- Articles about Ethnic and minority groups, including 'Indians', 'Native Americans', or 'Native Races'
- Places that change over time.
- Using modern or historical place names.
- Using acronyms for places in titles.
Are there any volunteers who would like to take a subject or locality in the Wiki and create a disambiguation test page to explore the possibilities for implementation? Multiple volunteers to test disambiguation are welcome!
Facilitator was Fran Jensen, Note taker was [Add name here], Time keeper was [Add name here].
Fran Jensen, Mollie Forbes, Barbara Baker (and her missionaries), Jimmy Parker, James Anderson, Thomas Lerman, David Samuelson, Diane Loosle, Jim Greene, Chris Johnson. Remote attendees: Renee Zamora
- Reply to the Forum thread concerning the posts and threads that might need moving or copying into the new Forum.
- This page was last modified on 22 April 2010, at 10:05.
- This page has been accessed 873 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More