User group meeting agenda 7 April 2009Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Proposing ideas for this agenda
To propose or discuss ideas for this agenda, please use the Discussion tab above. As the meeting draws near, we will review the items proposed on the Discussions page and decide which ones should get highest priority on the agenda.
- Assignment of time keeper and note taker
- Introduction of new members: 10 seconds for name and desired takeaways.
- Review of Minutes
- Today's agenda preview
- Michael Ritchey is not here today. Fran Jensen is conducting the meeting.
Carryover from Last Week
- Continued problems with CSS and page look and feel where the navigation bar is way off to the right or even offscreen until you scroll over to it. Generated a case with Support and they didn't seem to properly understand the problem, which does affect how the site looks. Before this problem showed up, everything scaled to fit into your browser window, now nothing fits. Affects all pages, including this one, and also view portal:italy to see how it affects portals. JamesAnderson 18:46, 7 April 2009 (UTC)
- What is the Support case number? Franjensen 19:24, 7 April 2009 (UTC). Got that from the bottom of one of the emails: CaseID:1043923). JamesAnderson 19:54, 7 April 2009 (UTC)
- Are you using IE6 ? Franjensen 19:24, 7 April 2009 (UTC) I'll get the cae number momentarily, but I am seeing the error in IE7 and Firefox 3.0.8. JamesAnderson 19:43, 7 April 2009 (UTC)
There are many ways to get "Help" - are they confusing?
- Help link in navigation box that gives three options:
- Begin your genealogy research
- Search for articles in the FamilySearch Research Wiki
- Edit and contribute to the FamilySearch Research Wiki
- Technical Support link at the bottom of every page. This link opens a page that instructs the user to send an email. The link will automatically open the user's email account and populate the email address and subject line. (This link was discussed in the meeting last week. See the notes on the Agenda Discussion page.)
- Feedback the link at the bottom of every page opens up a page that has three options:
- a link to the Forums
- a link that opens up the user's e-mail to send a message to Support
- a link to a list of known issues.
- Contact Us link at the bottom of every page. This page requires the user to select either:
- Technical Support e-mail (only works if system is set up to automatically open email account)
- Link to the FamilySearch Wiki:Feedback page which has three options to choose from (see the list under "Feedback" above).
- Forums - users get to the Forums to make suggestions by clicking on the option listed on the FamilySearch Wiki:Feedback page.
Suggestions for improvement?
- Look at the way Wikipedia organizes their feedback and bug reporting options.
- Look at Wikipedia's Help Desk and Reference Desk for ideas. (Need links to the suggested pages.) Found them!!! - Wikipedia Reference Desk and Wikipedia Help Desk
- The new page was linked to from the Navigation box.
- This is a new page and a new link as of this morning.
- Item 1:
- Item 2:
- Item 3:
- This page was last modified on 22 April 2010, at 10:04.
- This page has been accessed 482 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More