User talk:CrowtherDREdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Here are issues that I have and I have heard others express about the look of the Research Wiki.
Feel free to add comments and suggest other issues.
- Where do the page options belong? Before 17 Sep 2008, they were at the top of pages. Currently, they are in the upper right. Is this the best place for them for people reading on the Wiki, but should they be at the top for people making changes?
- Where should the navigation options be? Before 17 Sep 2008, they were in a column on the left. Now they are in the right column. A poll on the forum after 17 Sep 2008 shows a majority of people who took the poll prefer the navigation on the left. Also, many other wikis have the navigation on the left.
- Should there be 2 (or more) skins, with the navigation on the left & right, to choose from and which one should be the default? People who want the skin that is not the default would have to sign in to see the look they want.
- The issues with the look of the skin and where options and columns are will be affected by changes to other FamilySearch sites as work continues to integrate the various FamilySearch sites.
- Changes to the look of the site need to be carefully considered (and maybe need to be limited) to avoid interrupting people working on the site content.
- How do we best alert people to upcoming changes and give sneak previews?
Thank you for moving the bookmarks box away from the save button on the edit page. It's a real benefit to not have that opening up every time my cursor dropped a bit too low. Laralee 21:17, 20 October 2009 (UTC)
David, you have no idea how much frustration you will be saving me every time I save a page! Thank you for moving the bookmarks box!! You deserve a raise, just for that single item. But in lieu of that, maybe more blessings?? Jbparker 21:37, 20 October 2009 (UTC)
Thanks for the "thanks", but I think the change was actually done by Rick Ferrel. I passed on the "thanks" to him.
Well, you still deserve "thanks" anyway, David. But maybe we'll have to defer the blessings to Rick on this one! And we still thank you for all you do. Jbparker 22:14, 20 October 2009 (UTC)
To all FamilySearch Wiki Contributors: An apology is in order...
By way of introduction, my name is Ben Bennett and I’ve recently joined the FamilySearch team as the product manager for the Wiki and Forums. Put simply, my job is to ensure that your experience, as contributors and users of the Wiki and Forums is excellent. To this end, an apology is in order.
As you know, we recently implemented a new user ID/sign in process for the FamilySearch Wiki. As we implemented this new system, I personally heard from many of you. You shared with me problems that were occurring for you as you tried to sign in, edit or do other things that resulted in lost work, lost time and frustration for you, our key contributors and users. Please accept my sincere apology for the poor performance and poor experience associated with the Wiki during the past few weeks. Please also accept my commitment that the FamilySearch team will learn from this experience and do all that we can to prevent situations like this in the future. To this end, I wanted to share with you ...CONTINUE
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2010, at 11:50.
- This page has been accessed 359 times.