Utah Bible RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A family Bible is a designation given to a Bible which has family information recorded on pages within the book. This has been a tradition among many families and is a good source of information about immediate family members and relatives, including names of parents, children, their spouses as well as their dates of birth, marriage and death. This is a valuable resource because, if the information is recorded as the event occurs, the information is regarded as being reliable. Also, for some families, Bible records may have the only recorded vital statistics information. Generally, family Bibles are passed down to succeeding generations, but those that are no longer in possession of the family may be at a historical or genealogical society.
Many families came to Utah and brought their family Bible with them. These Bibles may be found, handed down to present-day families in Utah. You may find these Bibles also donated to local museums and historical societies.
Online Family Bible Resources
- USGenWeb Archives
- Many periodicals publish family data from Bible records. These are referenced in the "Families" section of the PERiodical Source Index (PERSI), described in the "Periodicals" section.
- Bible Records Online
- Ancestor Hunt: Bible Records
- Library of Virginia, Family Bible Records The Library of Virginia has acquired originals and photocopies of over 6,800 family Bible records. These materials have been cataloged and are searchable as part of the Archives and Manuscripts Catalog.
- Daughters of American Revolution
- Illinois State Genealogical Society
- Your Guide to Finding Ancestors in Family Bible Records
- Library of Congress Seach for "bible records."
- Index to Early Bible Records
There are many local and state collections of Bible records. You may wish to do a search online with the words "bible records" and the locality of origin of your ancestors.
Family History Library Collections
- The Family History Library (FHL)has several collections of family Bible records including the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) and county collections. These records can be found in the FamilySearch Catalog at www.familysearch.org using a Place Search under:
- Utah - BIBLE RECORDS
- Utah, [name of County] - BIBLE RECORDS
- Kirkham, E. Kay. An Index to Some of the Bibles and Family Records of the United States: 45,500 References as Taken from the Microfilm at the Genealogical Society of Utah. Two Volumes. Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1984. Other Libraries (WorldCat)FHL fiche 6089184; FHL book 973 D22kk
The Church History Library
- The Church History Library of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) has a small collection of family Bibles containing genealogical information. See Church History Library and search in the the catalog for "Bible genealogy" or "Bible records family."
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:17.
- This page has been accessed 1,793 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More