Utah Jewish Genealogical SocietyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Utah Jewish Genealogical Society|
|President||Banai Lynn Feldstein|
|Members||35 in 2010|
|Affiliations||Member of IAJGS|
The Utah Jewish Genealogical Society ...
- The opportunity to be associated with and learn from others who share a common interest in Jewish genealogy.
History of the Society
- Founded in 2002 by Robert Neu. Meetings were originally held at Congregation Kol Ami, moving to the Salt Lake City Jewish Community Center. Some meetings are held at the Family History Library.
- Banai Lynn Feldstein, President
- W. Todd Knowles, Treasurer
- Banai Lynn Feldstein, Webmaster
- Indexing of the Jewish cemeteries of Salt Lake City.
- Beginning in February 2012, our society is switching from our previous newsletter to a blog. The entries that are not time-sensitive will be compiled in an annual or biennial journal.
- Atsmi Uvsari (My Bone and My Flesh) - available for download from our web site, http://ujgs.org
Mailing Lists: News You Can Use
- Members receive periodical email announcements about genealogical happenings of interest.
- Presentations take place every other month, often on the second Tuesday, at the Family History Library.
- 2012 presentation dates: March 13, May 8, Sept 11, Nov 13.
- Beginning in 2012, presentations will be broadcast via webinar. They will be recorded and made available for viewing by members on the web site.
Library Research Night
- Members are invited to join us at the Family History Library for Library Research Night. On the designated dates (TBD), we will meet at the FHL to work on our genealogy research. Members can receive research help and advice from our more expert members.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. What are the directions to the society?
- A. Meetings are usually held at the SLC JCC, sometimes at the Family History Library. Directions can be found on our web site on the "Meetings" page, as well as specifics for which meetings are in which location.
- Q. What are the society's hours of operation?
- A. The society does not have a physical location outside of the locations of its officers. We have no hours of operation.
- Q. Do I have to be Jewish to join?
- A. No. Because of our location in Utah, many of our members are LDS. Most have Jewish ancestry, but even that is not a requirement. All you need is an interest in Jewish genealogy to join.
- Q. Do I have to be a member to attend meetings? Does it cost if I'm not?
- A. Currently anyone can attend meetings free of cost, but we encourage membership for regular attendees. Dues is only $10.
The Utah Jewish Genealogical Society is a non-profit organization, founded in 2002, to provide a forum for and assistance to members interested in researching their Jewish ancestors. UJGS offers research techniques, lectures, and films. Membership is open to anyone interested in Jewish genealogical research without regard to race, religion, or ethnic origin. All people with Jewish heritage and ancestry are welcome -- those identifying with Jews and those practicing other faiths, or no faith.
- This page was last modified on 29 January 2012, at 09:09.
- This page has been accessed 820 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page