Venn Ottery, DevonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Venn Ottery, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Venn Ottery, Devon|
|Poor Law Union||Honiton PLU|
|Parish registers: 1587; For more records see Harpford|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1606|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
VENN-OTTERY (St. Gregory), a parish, in the union of Honiton, hundred of East Budleigh, Woodbury and S. divisions of Devon, 3¼ miles (S. W. by S.) from Ottery St. Mary. The parish is situated on the right bank of the river Otter, and is divided from the parishes of Aylesbear and Rockbear. 
Also spelled Fen Ottery.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Venn Ottery, Devon parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Devon Parish Records (findmypast) - (£)|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Venn Ottery, Devon Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241304.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 428-429. Date accessed: 05 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Devon Parish Records Coverage,' Findmypast, accessed 15 November 2014.
- ↑ F.B. Dickinson, 'The Early Register of the Parish of Fen Ottery, 1596-1680,' in Report and Transactions of the Devonshire Association, Vol. 33 (1901):336-362. Digitised by Internet Archive - free.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- This page was last modified on 30 November 2014, at 19:27.
- This page has been accessed 935 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page