Vermont PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most family history periodicals publish transcriptions of local sources used in genealogical research. Information published in periodicals may include family histories, genealogies, historical background, maps, information about local records and archives, queries, census indexes, transcripts of family Bibles, church records, court records, cemetery records, land records, military records, obituaries, and wills. Often published by genealogical or historical societies, they typically focus on the records of a particular county, while a few may specialize in records of a particular ethnic group or religion.
Major Vermont periodicals are:
- Across the Border. Carlton Place, Ontario: Diana Hibbert Bailey, 1988. FHL Book 971.4 D25ab. This quarterly contains abstracts of census, vital, church, and cemetery records for the northern Vermont counties of Essex, Lamoille, Chittenden, Caledonia, Grand Isle, Franklin, Washington, and Orleans and the eastern townships of Quebec. There is a surname index in each volume.
- Branches and Twigs. 1972–1995. Published by the Genealogical Society of Vermont, P.O. Box 1553, St. Albans, Vermont 05478. FHL Book 974.3 B2br. This quarterly published queries; abstracts of census, marriage, Bible, cemetery, and church records; diaries; genealogies; and ancestor and submitter lists. An all-name index is planned. This source is continued by Vermont Genealogy.
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register. 1847–. Published by the Society, 101 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02116. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 974 B2ne; on 40 Family History Library films beginning with FHL Film 599167; and on CD No. 33. There are cumulative indexes to volumes 1–50 and volumes 51–148. Part 9 of the compact disc version has a cumulative index to 1995. This quarterly includes genealogies, abstracts of vital and church records, local genealogical histories, and New England source material.
- Vermont Genealogy. St. Albans, Vermont: Genealogical Society of Vermont, 1996–. FHL Book 974.3 D25v. This quarterly includes queries, genealogies, book reviews, family histories, and abstracts of Bible, church, and marriage records. There is a name and place index. This source continues in part in Branches and Twigs.
- Vermont History. 1954–. Published by the Vermont Historical Society, Pavilion Office Building, 109 State Street, Montpelier, Vermont 05602. FHL Book 974.3 H25vaa. This quarterly magazine was called Proceedings of the Vermont Historical Society from 1860 to 1943 and the Vermont Quarterlyfrom 1944 to 1953. It has book reviews and articles on the history and development of Vermont.
Some of the periodicals listed above have annual indexes in the final issue of the year. For nationwide indexes to these and other family history periodicals, see:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). 31+Volumes. Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1986–. FHL Book 973 D25per 1847–1985; FHL Fiche 6016863 [set of 40] (1847–1985); FHL Book 973 D25per (1986–1997); FHL Fiche 6016864 [set of 15 (1986–1990);].) This guide indexes over 1.1 million articles in over 5,000 English-language and French Canadian family history periodicals. For further instructions, see the Periodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119). For easier-to-use, more complete computer editions of the index, see:
- Periodical Source Index. Ancestry™ (Ancestry is a trademark of Ancestry, Inc.) and the Allen County Public Library Foundation, Orem, Utah, 1997. (Family History Library compact disc[[|]] no.61.) This does not circulate to Family History Centers. It merges all 31+ volumes into one index.
- “Periodical Source Index Search.” In Ancestry.com [database online]. Orem, Utah: Ancestry, 1999. Available at www.ancestry.com/ancestry/search/3165.htm. This on-line database is available only to Ancestry.com members. Ancestry is a trademark of Ancestry, Inc.
More periodicals can be found in the FamilySearch Catalog by using a Place Search under:
VERMONT- GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
VERMONT- HISTORY- PERIODICALS
VERMONT, [COUNTY]- GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:36.
- This page has been accessed 1,883 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page