Vernon County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Vernon County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Vernon County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1851|
|Address|| Vernon County Courthouse|
100 W Cherry Street
Nevada, MO 64772
Vernon County Website
County Clerk has birth and death records 1883-1904;
Recorder of Deeds has marriage and land records;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court recordsc;
Probate Court has probate records; County Historical
Societ has burial records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Vernon County, Missouri census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Vernon County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Vernon County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Vernon County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
Civil War Battles
The following Civil War Battles was fought in Vernon County
Map showing Civil War battles in Missouri
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Vernon County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Vernon County Probate Index, 1855-1963 On-line. Index may be searched by surname of the deceased, the administrator or the heirs. Record copies may be ordered for a nominal sum. The index provides the following:
• Deceased surname
• Deceased given name
• Comment re deceased
• File type
• Date of Probate
• Administrator surname
• Administrator given name
• Heirs surname
• Heirs given name
• Relationship to Deceased
• Field 12
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1855-1885 - Vernon County Marriage Index 1855-1885. Batches M515881 and M515882 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1897 - Vernon County Death Index 1883-1897. Batch B514611 at FamilySearch - free.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
- Nevada Missouri Family History Center 1101 N Olive St, Nevada, MO 64772-1238 United States Location Map
Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
Sites with online indexes or images of records Missouri Digital Heritage Free digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State MOGenWeb Free Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions USGenWeb Archives Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Sites that search for links pertaining to Vernon County, Missouri RootsWeb resources Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Linkpendium Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) CyndisList Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) StateofUS Free family history resources and government records Major catalogs for hard copy collections of Vernon County, Missouri
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
FamilySearch catalog Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box. WorldCat To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog. Allen County Public Library located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing. Missouri State Archives Library catalog; from this page you must search "Vernon County" See also local libraries and Missouri Archives and Libraries Social networking sites pertaining to Vernon County, Missouri Google+ Missouri Genealogy Network Community list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search genealogy.com Vernon County, MO Genealogy Forum
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Vernon County, Missouri. Page 406 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 9 August 2012)
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August 2012)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f4/Igimissourir.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 24 June 2014, at 18:20.
- This page has been accessed 4,621 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki