Virginia's Powhatan Light ArtilleryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Organized in July 1861
- The unit served in the Army of Northern Virginia assigned to J. I Brown's and R. A. Hardaway's Battalion of Artillery.
- It was on duty in the Richmond area, then fought in various conflicts from the Maryland Campaign to Cold Harbor.
- Later it participated in the Petersburg siege south of the James River and the Appomattox Campaign.
- The battery lost twenty percent of the 78 engaged at Gettysburg and had many captured at Sayler's Creek on April 6, 1865.
- Only I man surrendered with the army.
- Captain Willis J. Dance was in command.
- AKA - Dance's Company, Virginia Artillery
men raised in Powhatan County
- This page was last modified on 3 January 2012, at 21:15.
- This page has been accessed 335 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback