Virginia Bible RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Start with the free Index to Early Bible Records (pre-1830; 17,000 entries).
Large collections of Virginia family Bible records are housed at the following archives:
- Library of Virginia. Family Bibles are identified in Lyndon H. Hart, A Guide to Bible Records in the Library of Virginia, Two Volumes. (Richmond, Va.: Library of Virginia, 1999); FHL Book 975.5 D23h). Some Family Bibles from this facility have been microfilmed, see: FHL Films 029277-80).
- Virginia Historical Society. Family Bibles are identified in Virginia Historical Society (Richmond, Virginia), Index of Bible Records on File in the Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Virginia, June 1987 (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1987; on seven films FHL Films 1508536 and 1508561-6). See also FHL Films 029890, 29895-97.
- Alderman Library of the University of Virginia. For copies of some Family Bibles housed here, see: FHL Film 029890).
- Guide to Virginia--Manuscript Sources (including Family Bibles) at the Alderman Library
- The Daughters of the American Revolution Library (DAR) has copied many Bible records from Virginia. Some of these are listed separately in the FamilySearch Catalog: FHL Films 849499-500 and FHL Films 850094-96), and others are part of the collection described under Virginia Genealogy. They are partially indexed in:
- Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah includes microfilm copies and published abstracts of many Virginia family Bibles.
- Family Bible search in FamilySearch Catalog Catalog (try searching for surnames or keyword search for a surname + Bible; also subject search for Virginia Bible Records)
PERSI will assist you in finding Family Bibles published in genealogical periodicals.
Copies, or abstracts of old family Bibles that are no longer known to exist, may survive in Revolutionary War Pension application files at NARA, Washington, D.C., which are available online at three commercial websites: Ancestry, Footnote, and Heritage Quest Online.
Austin published data from 487 family Bibles:
- Austin, Jeanette Holland. Virginia Bible Records. Heritage Books, 2008. FHL Book 975.5 D2aj.
- VirginiaGenWeb contains abstracts of hundreds of Virginia family Bibles. Check the county where your ancestor lived.
- USGenWeb Archives like VirginiaGenWeb, contains archived abstracts of hundreds of Virginia family Bibles. Check the county where your ancestor lived.
- Virginia Bible Records on Virginia Pioneers.net: Contains an index list of Bible records in their collection. You must be a member to see the contents of the Bible record.
- This page was last modified on 23 November 2014, at 22:07.
- This page has been accessed 20,189 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page