Virginia GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- 1835: Martin, Joseph. A New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Charlottesville: J. Martin, 1835. (Family History Library book 975 E5m; film 897469.); digital versions at Ancestry ($); FamilySearch Books Online.
- 1854: Edwards, Richard. Statistical Gazetteer of the State of Virginia: Embracing Important Topographical and Historical Information from Recent and Original Sources, Together with the Results of the Last Census Population, in Most Cases, to 1854. Richmond, Va.: Published for the Proprietor, 1855. Digital version at Internet Archive.
- 1904: Gannett, Henry. The Gazetteer of Virginia. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1904. Digital version at Internet Archive.
- 1908: Long, Charles Massie. Virginia County Names: Two Hundred and Seventy Years of Virginia History. New York and Washington: The Neale Publishing Company, 1908. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free; Google Books - free.
- 1969: Hanson, Raus McDill. Virginia Place Names. Verona, Virginia: McClure Press, 1969. (Family History Library book 975.5 E5h.)
- 1971: Topping, Mary, et al. Approved Place Names in Virginia. Charlottesville, Virginia: University Press of Virginia, 1971. (Family History Library book 975.5 E2t; fiche 6051296.) This is not a comprehensive gazetteer, but it lists all place names that have been approved by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names.
- This page was last modified on 27 August 2012, at 21:13.
- This page has been accessed 4,849 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More