Walker River Indian Agency (Nevada)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Walker River Reservation was established for the Paiute Indians in 1859, but the reservation was under the supervision of the Nevada Agency until 1897. At that time, the reservation was transferred to the Carson School, and in 1908 a separate Walker River Agency was established. In 1925, Indians under the jurisdiction of the Fallon Agency were transferred to the Walker River Agency and in 1926, those under the Bishop Agency also were transferred to Walker River.
The Walker River Agency was abolished in 1935 and their duties transferred to the Carson Agency.
Johnson, Edward Charles. Walker River Paiutes: a Tribal History. FHL book 970.3 P166j
Some of the textual records of the Walker River Agency have been transferred to the Pacific Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in San Francisco. Among their administrative files are the following records which may be of particular interest to family historians:
- Health and Sanitary Records, 1897-1910
- Allotments records, 1902-1941
- Record of employees, 1909-1916
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1897-1912, and from 1914 thru 1935. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 629-634. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 583088 thru 583093). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Walker River Indian Reservation. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the Walker River Agency, as well as many pages of Indian Population Schedules for the native population of the Reservation. They are recorded as 1900 Census and Districts 52, 52c, and 52d, Walker River Reservation and more, in Esmeralde County, Nevada.
Microfilm copies of...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Walker River Agency Agency, 1907-1935, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, rolls 162-164, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and their family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1724380-1724382). Reports for some years are missing.
Records Available Through the Family History Library
Census 1897-1935, FHL Film: 583088-583093
Robinson, Doreen. Walker River Valley Paiute Rolls, 1897-1920; Mason Valley Paiute Rolls, 1915-1920. FHL Book 970.3 P166r
Agency employee records 1909-1926 FHL Collection
Sanitary Records of Sick, Injured, Births, Deaths, Etc. 1898-1909 at Walker River Agency, Nevada - Paiutes by Jimmy B. Parker, Research Department. The Genealogical Society. 1973 FHL book 970.3 P166p or film 928522 item 9
Sanitary Recordes of Sick and etc., 1897-1910 FHL Collection
Vital records 1897-1910 FHL Film: 976980 Item 4 and 928522 Item 9
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981, p. 189.
- ↑ Guide to Federal Records, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Record Group 75. Available online.
- ↑ American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M595, p. 51.
- ↑ American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M1011, p. 27.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- This page was last modified on 12 May 2014, at 15:52.
- This page has been accessed 1,086 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More