Walton County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Walton County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Walton County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 15, 1818|
|Address|| Walton County; PO Box 585; Monroe, GA 30655-0585;|
Walton County Website]
Walton County Courthouse
PO Box 585
Monroe, GA 30655-0585
Probate Court has marriage and probate records from 1819. Clerk Superior Court has land records from 1819 and divorce records from 1900. Magistrate Court has court records from 1900. County Health department has birth and death records from 1919.
1818--Walton County was created 15 December 1818 from Creek Indian Lands.County seat: Monroe 
- Barrow County, Georgia
- Gwinnett County, Georgia
- Morgan County, Georgia
- Newton County, Georgia
- Oconee County, Georgia
- Rockdale County, Georgia
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Walton County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Walton County, Georgia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Walton County, Georgia:
- - 9th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company C
- - 11th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 16th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - 42nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies G and H
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Walton County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1819-1839 - Digital Images of Walton County Wills and Estates 1819-1839 at Georgia Pioneers ($).
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1825-1857 - Walton County Marriage Books B thru D Index 1825-1857. Batch M713901 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1857-1884 - Walton County Marriage Books A and E Index 1857-1884. Batch M713902 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1895 - Walton County Marriage Books G thru I Index 1876-1895. Batch M713903 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1886 - Walton County Marriages from Newspapers 1885-1886 at Georgia Pioneers ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- " class= 1
- Walton County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers atGeorgia Pioneers
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America /,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 12 February 2014, at 02:58.
- This page has been accessed 5,444 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More