Walworth County, South DakotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Walworth County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Walworth County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||January 8, 1873|
Walworth County Courthouse
PO Box 199
Selby, SD 57472-0199
Register of Deeds has birth, death and burial records from 1905
and land records; County Treasurer has marriage records from 1889;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce records from 1889, probate and court
records from 1892
Various Walworth County Cemeteries transcriptions which may include name of deceased, date of death and birth and parent or spousal information.
- 1940 census page missing: Selby, Walworth County, Enumeration District 65-9: Sheet 6B is missing from the microfilmed copy. After microfilming many years ago, the originals were destroyed.
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation and Military Service
- 1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about South Dakota denominations, view the South Dakota Church Records wiki page.
St. John's Lutheran Church, Selby
- Records of St. John's Lutheran Church, Selby, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Trinity Lutheran Church, Mobridge
- Records of Trinity Lutheran Church, Mobridge, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Zion Lutheran Church, Lowry
- Records of Zion Lutheran Church, Lowry, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Walworth County, South Dakota. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section South Dakota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Walworth County, South Dakota newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in South Dakota, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for South Dakota, Walworth then click Probate records.
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Walworth County, South Dakota, p.629
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ email Feb 13, 2014 to Connie Godak from Rebecca Sharp, Archives Specialist, A1 Research Support Branch, Customer Services Division. The email was subsequently forwarded to User:AdkinsWH
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:17.
- This page has been accessed 2,824 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki