Warburton, CheshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Warburton, Cheshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Werburghs Church 3quarter
|Poor Law Union||Altrincham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1611|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1813|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
WARBURTON (St. Werburgh), is a parish, in the union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, North division of the county of Chester, 6½ miles (E. by N.) from Warrington. The rivers Mersey and Bollin run through the parish.
St Werburgh's Church, Warburton is the name of two separate churches in the village of Warburton, Greater Manchester, England. The older church is located to the west of the village and may date back as far as the middle of the 13th century. It is now a redundant church but services are held in the summer months. Pevsner calls this church "a lovable muddle".
The newer church was built in 1883–85 and is located to the southeast of the village and is an Ancient Parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield and the deanery of Bowdon. Its benefice is combined with that of St Peter, Oughtrington. It includes the hamlet of Moss Brow.
The dedication is an unusual one, ordinarily local to Chester, where Werburgh is the patron saint. Werburgh, an Anglo-Saxon saint who has given her name to Warburgtune, as Warburton was called in the Domesday survey (1086), was the daughter of Wulfhere, the first Christian king of Mercia.
There is evidence of a Saxon church on the site before the Norman Conquest. In 1187–90 Adam de Dutton founded a priory on the site for Norbertine canons. It is likely that the building of the present church began in the middle of the 13th century. By 1880 the church needed major repairs, and because of this the new church was built and the old church ceased to be the parish church.
In 1933 the boundary with Lancashire was adjusted to follow the course of the Manchester Ship Canal;since 1974 Warburton has been part of Greater Manchester.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241235.
Warburton St Werburgh parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|Warburton St Werburgh Parish (1611) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1611-1909
|FS BT'S|| 1813-1876
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Parish registers for Warburton, 1611-1935 Cheshire Record Office call numbers: P68/1/1-6, 2, 3/1-2, 4, 6/1-3, P68/4577/1-2.
An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online in FamilySearch Historical Records (formerly Record Search)
|Parish registers Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1611-1859. Banns, 1755-1812. Marriages, 1611-1836. Burials, 1611-1863. Tenants at church sitting, c. 1796.|| BRITISH |
2105391 Items 7 - 17
|Baptisms, 1859-1935. Burials, 1863-1932.|| BRITISH |
2186839 Items 2 - 3
Bishop's transcripts for Warburton, 1813-1876 Bishop's transcripts for Warburton, 1813-1876
An index for Cheshire, Church of England, Bishop’s Transcripts is available online in Family Search Historical records ( formerly Record Search)
|Bishop's transcripts Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1813, baptisms, burials, 1814, 1873-1876, burials, 1870-1872, baptisms, 1869-1872.|| BRITISH |
1647714 Item 7
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Altrincham (1837–98)
- Bucklow (1898–1974)
- Trafford (post 1974)
Poor Law Unions
- Altrincham (1836–95)
- Bucklow (1895–1930)
- Altrincham (renamed Bucklow) Poor Law Union, Cheshire
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). Date Accessed: 16 April 2013
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Cheshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 16 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) , The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, pp. 375–376, ISBN 0 300 09588 0
Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: Batsford, pp. 339–341Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, p. 186, ISBN 0 907768 18 0
- This page was last modified on 17 October 2014, at 00:46.
- This page has been accessed 1,930 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki