Warham St Mary, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Warham St Mary, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Walsingham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1565|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
WARHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of North Greenhoe, W. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (S. E. by E.) from Wells. 
Warham St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich. St mary combined with Warham All Saints, Norfolk parish and St Mary remains as a chapel of Ease to the nearby parish church.
That St Mary's was retained when threatened with closure is due to the efforts of the late Lady Wilhelmine Harrod and the Norfolk Churches Trust. Lady Harrod's funeral service was held at St Mary http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article521292.ece outlines her work in preserving Norfolk Churches.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Walsingham 1837-1938
- Fakenham 1939-1974
The Register Office, Fakenham Connect, Oak Street, Fakenham, NR21 9SR.
Tel: 01328 850111. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Warham St Mary, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Warham St Mary, Norfolk Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1565-1746, 1750-1906||Undefined||1565-1746, 1750-1978||Undefined||1565-1746, 1750-1812, 1814-1920|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 502
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438859.
refer to Warham All Saints, Norfolk for 1891 census transcripts for whole village and combined parish
Poor Law Unions
Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Warham St Mary on GenUKI
- Warham St Mary Magdalene on A Church Near You. Information about the chapel of ease; refer to the parish information for the combined parish Warham All Saints, Norfolk
- Church of St Mary Magdalene Warham on British listed buildings
- Warham Mary Magdelene on Norfolk Churches
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 464-470. Date accessed: 30 July 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 29 April 2014, at 01:37.
- This page has been accessed 1,258 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki