Warren County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Warren County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Warren County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 19, 1793|
|Address|| Warren County Courthouse]|
100 Warren Street
Warrenton, GA 30828
Warren County Website
Warren County Courthouse
100 Warren Street
Warrenton, GA 30828
Probate Court has birth, marriage, death and probate records;
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
A second fire on 6 April 1909 did not damage any further records.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Warren County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Origins of Early Settlers to Warren County at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- Warren County Map at Georgia Pioneers ($).
Regiments. Service men in Warren County, Georgia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Warren County, Georgia:
- - 5th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company D
- - 22nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 48th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company B
- - 64th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Warren County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1793-1811 - List of Warren County Wills 1793-1811 at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1793-1811 - Digital Images of Wills. See names of testators. Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1793-1829 - Digital Images of Warren County Will Book A (1793-1811) and Will Book B (1810-1829) at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1810-1829 - Digital Images of Wills. See names of testators. [http://www.georgiapioneers.com/counties/countywarren.html Georgia Pioneers. ($)
- 1829-1852 - Digital Images of Wills. See names of testators. [http://www.georgiapioneers.com/counties/countywarren.html Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1810-1852 - Indexes to Warren County Will Book A (1810-1829) and Will Book B (1829-1852) at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1797-1807 - Index of Warren County Estates, Wills, Letters of Administration at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1811-1826 - Index to Warren County Annual Returns Book B (1811-1826) at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1810-1829 - Index to Warren County Will Book B Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1829-1952 - Index to Warren County Wills Georgia Pioneers ($).
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1794-1835 - Warren County Marriage Index 1794-1835. Batch M713911 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1794-1805 - Warren County Marriages 1794-1805 at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1833-1874 - Warren County Marriage Index 1833-1874. Batch M713912 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1888 - Warren County Marriage Index 1875-1888. Batch M713913 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1888-1895 - Warren County Marriage Index 1888-1895. Batch M713914 at FamilySearch - free.
- Warren County Marriage Contracts found in Deeds and Other Documents at Georgia Pioneers ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Warren County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Warren County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Warren County, Georgia. Page 161 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 56-57. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:41.
- This page has been accessed 6,729 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki