Warren County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Warren County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 13, 1846|
Warren County Website
1846--Warren County was created 13 January 1846 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Mahaska County prior to organization 10 February 1849. County seat: Indianola 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
- 1856 Warren County Census missing (?). For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- New Virginia
- Spring Hill
- St. Marys
- Union Township
- All of the family biographies from the History of Warren County, Iowa (1879) by Union Historical Company are available free online at My Genealogy Hound.
- Warren County Cemeteries list as found in Cemetery and Death Records of Warren County, Iowa by the Warren County Genealogical Society, 1980
- Warren County gravestones Iowa gravestone project
- 1850 Warren County, Iowa
- 1853 Warren County, Iowa State Census
- 1860 Warren County, Iowa link to index pages and transcriptions
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the St. Paul Lutheran Church, Martensdale, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Fold3.com ($) has Des Moines City Directories 1881-1913 (2 yrs. missing) and miscellaneous years going back to 1866 available online.
- 1875 Patrons of the Iowa State Atlas (Warren County)
- 1875 Warren County Business Directory
- 1879 City Directories for Warren County link to index of City's indexed and mapped
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Warren County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- History of Warren County, Iowa (Des Moines: Union Historical Company, 1879) Bioindex, all 644 bios online
- History of Warren County, Iowa...to 1908, by Rev. W. C. Martin. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1908. - index, 27 bios online
- List of Warren County Pensioners on the Roll Jan 1, 1883
- Civil War Soldiers Enlistment Records (1861-1864)
- Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) Card File for Union Soldiers in the Civil War
Regiments. Service men in Warren County, Iowa served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Warren County, Iowa:
- - 3rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
- - 10th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Companies B and G
- - 15th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
- - 17th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
- - 48th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company A
- - 10th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company B
:- 10th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
:- 15th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
:- 17th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
:- 1st Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company D
:- 3rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
:- 48th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company A
- Altoona Public Library Archives, Polk County (1876-2000)
- Johnston Historical Society Archive, Polk County (1970-2007)
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Des Moines newspapers. This database is free at some libraries.
- Warren County, Iowa Probate Index provided by the Warren County Historical Society
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Warren - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
- Index of Warren County Marriages (1849-1899) provided by the Warren County Historical Society
Societies and Libraries
See also a List of Iowa Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Warren County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Iowa Genweb: Warren County
- Rootsweb: Warren County message board
- Warren County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 10 November 2014, at 22:02.
- This page has been accessed 10,234 times.