Washington County, MaineEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Washington County Maine genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Washington County, Maine|
Location in the state of Maine
|Founded||June 25, 1789|
|Address|| Washington County Courthouse|
PO Box 297
Machias, ME 04654-0297
Washington County Website
Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death and burial records. Clerk of the Court has divorce and court records from 1931, probate records from 1785, land records from 1783 and naturalization records from 1854. Maine State Archives, Augusta, has divorce and court records before 1931.
Places / Localities
Towns and Cities
Plantations. For further details see Maine plantations.
Unorganized territories. Within each group townships are listed from southeast to northwest. For further details see Maine townships.
Communities • Machias • Woodland
Village • Forest City
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Maine denominations, view the Maine Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Maine Land and Property for additional information about early Maine land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Washington County, Maine. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Maine Local Histories.
Finding More Maine Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Washington County, Maine newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records for Washington County, Maine can be found at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1930294
Maine tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
In Maine, vital records are kept by town clerks or selectmen. Although some towns have existed since the 1650s, most vital records date from about 1700. The vital statistics are often arranged by family. For more information, see the Wiki page for the town and the Wiki page, Maine Vital Records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Washington County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Washington County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Washington County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Washington County
- Maine, Washington County Revolutionary, Probate, and Cansus Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Washington County, Maine page 305, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Handybook for Genealogists, 181.
- ↑ Before an extinct town or plantation was discontinued, chances are it created official records of interest to genealogists. For preservation these records were usually turned over to a nearby functioning town in the same county.
- ↑ Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 119. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
- This page was last modified on 5 March 2014, at 03:12.
- This page has been accessed 11,686 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback