Washington County, MinnesotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Washington County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Washington County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||October 27, 1849|
|Address|| Washington County Courthouse|
14949-62nd St N;
Stillwater, MN 55082
Washington County Website
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1870,
marriage records from 1845, divorce and court records
from 1847 and probate records from 1850. 
- 1849--Washington County was created 27 October 1849 from St. Croix County in Wisconsin Territory.
County seat: Stillwater 
- For a brief history of how Washington County was named, click here, then select Washington County.
- Pierce County, Wisconsin
- Polk County, Wisconsin
- St. Croix County, Wisconsin
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Lake Elmo
- Records of the St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Lake Elmo, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Washington County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Washington – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Washington County, Minnesota. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Washington County, Minnesota (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Civil War service men from Washington County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Washington County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company B.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Company K.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company F.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies B and F.
- - 5th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company K.
- - 6th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company I.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company C.
- - 8th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company C.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Washington County, Minnesota newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Minnesota Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Washington County, Minnesota page 369, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 17 October 2013, at 02:28.
- This page has been accessed 2,578 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More