Washington County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Washington County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Washington County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||29 January, 1827|
|Address|| Washington County Courthouse]|
PO Box 309;
Greenville, MS 38701;
Washington County Courthouse]
Washington County Courthouse
PO Box 309;
Greenville, MS 38701;
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1858 and court records from 1890. Clerk Chancery Court has divorce records from 1856, probate and land records from 1831. 
|[[<span class=|Washington County, Mississippi#Vital_Records">Birth]]||[[<span class=|Washington County, Mississippi#Vital_Records">Marriage]]||[[<span class=|Washington County, Mississippi#Vital_Records">Death]]||[[<span class=|Washington County, Mississippi#Census">Census]]||[[<span class=|Washington County, Mississippi#Land_and_Property">Land]]||[[<span class=|Washington County, Mississippi#Probate_Records">Probate]]|
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Chicot County, Arkansas
- East Carroll Parish, Louisiana
For tips on accessing Washington County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Washington County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1785-1918)
- Family Maps of Washington County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Washington County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1858-1916 - Washington County Marriage Books A, 1-42 Index 1858-1916 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Washington County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Washington County, Mississippi page 383, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 22 September 2014, at 19:20.
- This page has been accessed 4,091 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki