Washington County, Rhode IslandEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Washington County Rhode Island ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Washington County, Rhode Island|
Location in the state of Rhode Island
|Founded||June 3, 1729|
Washington County Courthouse
4800 Tower Hill Road
Wakefield, RI 02879-2239
Town and City Clerks have birth, marriage, death, probate and land records)
Twenty towns in Washington County Towns Organized Before 1800: Charlestown 1738, Exeter 1742-3, Hopkinton 1757, North Kingstown 1641, Richmond 1747, South Kingstown (Pettaquamscutt) 1656-7, Westerly 1669
There is no county government. The government is located at town and state levels.
- Named for George Washington, the American Revolutionary general, and first president of the United States.
- Washington County is more commonly known as "South County."
- Renamed Washington County 29 October 1781.
For animated maps illustrating Rhode Island County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Rhode Island County Boundary Maps" (1643-1963) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
- Lost census: 1890
Places / Localities
Washington County Cemeteries Information provided by Rhode Island Cemeteries Database.
For tips on accessing Washington County, Rhode Island census records online, see: Rhode Island Census.
- Richmond Tax Book 1855 provided through USGenweb.org.
- Richmond Tax Book 1872 provided through USGenweb.org.
- Richmond Tax Book 1883 provided through USGenweb.org.
Vital Records Office
4800 Tower Hill Road
Wakefield, RI 02879
Tel. # 401-841-8350
Note: Colonial records: contact the town clerk's office in the town where the event occured. Towns in Washington County are:
- Charlestown: Town Clerk, 4540 South County Trail, Charlestown, RI 02813 (Tel. 401-364-1200)
- Exeter: Town Clerk, 675 Ten Rod Road, Exeter, RI 02822 (Tel. 401-294-3891)
- Hopkinton: Town Clerk, 1 Town House Rd., Hopkinton, RI 02833 (Tel. 401-377-7777)
- Narragansett: Town Clerk, 25 Fifth Ave., Narragansett, RI 02882 (Tel. 401-789-1044)
- New Shoreham: Town Clerk, Drawer 220, Old Town Rd., Block Island, RI 02807 (Tel. 401-466-3200)
- North Kingstown: Town Clerk, 80 Boston Neck Rd., Wickford, RI 02852 (Tel. 401-294-3331)
- Richmond: Town Clerk, PO Box 318, 5 Richmond Townhouse Rd., Wyoming, RI 02898 (Tel. 401-539-2497)
- South Kingstown: Town Clerk, PO Box 31, Wakefield, RI 02879 (Tel. 401-789-9331)
- Westerly: Town Clerk, 45 Broad St., Westerly, RI 02891 (Tel. 401-348-2500 or 2508)
South Kingstown Marriages: Some of the early marriages recorded at South Kingstown, RI courtesy of the town clerk at South Kingstown, RI and USGenWeb.org.
See also How to order Rhode Island Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Rhode Island Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Washington County, RI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Washington County RIGenWeb Project, an member of The RIGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Washington County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Washington County. (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Washington County.
- This page was last modified on 10 November 2014, at 21:20.
- This page has been accessed 5,720 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page