Washington NewspapersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Newspapers provide valuable genealogical information, including obituaries, marriage announcements, biographical sketches, divorce notices, and so forth. Other personal information may be included in various sections of a newspaper.
Locating Washington Newspapers
- A guide for locating early newspapers is "Newspapers of Washington Territory to 1890." This was published in Volume 13 (1922), Volume 14 (1923), and Volume 26 (1935) of the Washington Historical Quarterly FHL books 979 B2pn
- The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections
- Washington Online Historic Newspapers - Identifies historical newspapers available online at both free and pay-to-access websites.
Family History Library
The Family History Library has not acquired copies of newspapers for Washington, but has a few published vital records abstracted from newspapers. To access these records available through the FHL catalog, use the Place-names Search for:
- WASHINGTON - NEWSPAPERS
- WASHINGTON, [COUNTY] - NEWSPAPERS
- WASHINGTON, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - NEWSPAPERS
Washington State Library
The Washington State Library is in charge of the Washington State Newspaper Microfilm Project and maintains on film a large collection of newspapers dating from the 1870s. A guide to this collection is Katryn S. Hamilton, Newspapers on Microfilm in the Washington State Library (Olympia: Washington State Library, 1980; not at Family History Library).
- This page was last modified on 6 July 2012, at 21:53.
- This page has been accessed 1,578 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More