Washoe IndiansEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
To get started in American Indian Research
|This Indians of North America-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Various Spellings: Washoe, Wasco
Population: 1990: 1,520
Washoe Tribe of Nevada & California
919 Highway 395 South
Gardnerville, NV 89410
- Wahoe Tribe of Nevada and California Official Website
- 1825: Jebediah Smith
- 1850: Trading posts in Washoe territory
- 1855 June 25, with the Wallawalla and Waco
- 1857: Potato War
- 1858: Comstock Lode
- 1860: Pyramid Lake War with the Northern Paiute
- 1860: Northern Paiute conquered the Washo
- 1865November 15, Middle Oregon Tribes
- 1917: land set aside for the Wahoe near Carson City, Nevada became the Carson Colony
- ----Dresslerville Colony and Reno-Sparks Colony
- 1924: granted U.S. citizenship
- 1935: constitution
- 1936: Federally recognized as the Washoe Tribe of Nevada and California
- 1966: 795 acres Wahoe Ranch
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
A tract of land set aside for occupation and use by American Indians.
Bands of the Washoe Tribe and Their Colonies
The term or designation of Washoe Indians is a broad categorization of several bands within the group so named. For the most part, they have historically lived on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, near Reno, Nevada and the Lake Tahoe area of California. Some of the bands or groups of Washoe include:
- Carson Colony (Nevada)
- Dresslerville Colony (Nevada)
- Reno Sparks Colony (Nevada) of Paiute and Washoe Indians
- Stewart Colony (Nevada)
- Woodfords Colony (California)
Correspondence and Census
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M 234 RG 75 Rolls
M595 RG 75 Rolls
|Washoe||Oregon Superintendency,1842-80||Washington D.C.||607-30||-||-||-|
|Washoe||Utah and Nevada Superintendencies||Washington D.C.||896-906, 538-45||-||-||-|
|Washoe||Walker River Agency||San Francisco||-||-||631||FHL Films: 583088-583093|
Important Web Sites
- Constitution and Bylaws of the Washoe Tribe of Nevada and California
- Wahoe Tribe of Nevada and California Official Website
- Washoe People Wikipedia
- A Guide to the Washoe Indians Research Papers of Warren L. d'Azevedo, Collection No. 99-39
- California Indians and Their Reservations: An Online Dictionary. Available online.
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Kroeber, Alfred L. Handbook of the Indians of California. Washington D.C.:Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin 78, 1925. Reprint. New York City: Dover Publications, [ca 2006] WorldCat 255854981 Available online.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- Waldman, Carl. Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. New York, New York: Facts on File, 2006. 3rd ed. WorldCat 14718193; FHL book 970.1 W146e 2006.
- This page was last modified on 7 May 2012, at 07:01.
- This page has been accessed 1,192 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More