Watton, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Watton, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Wayland PLU|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1602|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
WATTON (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, in the union and hundred of Wayland, W. division of Norfolk, 21 miles (W. by S.) from Norwich, and 94 (N. N. E.) from London. There are places of worship for Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Watton, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Watton, Norfolk Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1539-1900||Undefined||1539-1730, 1754-1921||Undefined||1539-1901|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 218/26-37
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438867.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Watton on GenUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 486-490. Date accessed: 30 July 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ 'National Burial Index - Norfolk Coverage,' findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 16 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 19 November 2014, at 17:04.
- This page has been accessed 1,044 times.