Waukesha County, WisconsinEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Waukesha County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Wisconsin Counties see: Wisconsin Counties with Burned Courthouses
Vital records were not required until 1907. Before that time some civil records are available according to the dates below:
Births are available circa 1860 - present
Death records are available circa 1872 - present
Marriage records are available circa 1846-present
Records prior to the 1846 may be found in Milwaukee County
Places / Localities
- Towns, Villages and Townships - Waukesha County Online Genealogy and Family History Library
- Waukesha County Gazatteer - Wi Home Town Locator
- List of Cemeries, Waukesha County Online Genealogy and Family History Library
- Find a Grave, map of Waukesha County Cemeteries
- Find a Grave, list of Waukesha County Cemeteries
Church History and Records
Dr. Martin Luther Lutheran Church, Oconomowoc
- Records of Dr. Martin Luther Lutheran Church, Oconomowoc, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. John's (Pine Lake) Lutheran Church, Oconomowoc
Crime and Criminals
Newspaper clipping from Waukesha Daily Paper; dated 6 January 1952; entitled: 1840 Date of First Death Recorded in Merton Town. Was the second in a series of articles tracing the history of Merton. Taken from a paper presenting to the Waukesha county historical society by William Kuntz. This is only a snipit of the article.
"In 1840 the first death occurred in the town of Merton. It was that of Martin Molster, who died in January of that year. Tragedy stalked the shores of Lake Keesus where two young men were drowned while bathing in the lake. They had been employed in a maple sugar camp nearby. "
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- The History of Waukesha County, Wisconsin. Chicago : Western Historical Company. Containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and Constitution and of the Constitution of the United States (1880). Online at Internet Archives www.archive.org.
Land and Property
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Overlay of Waukesha County outline over google map. Wi Home Town Locator.
- Waukesha County Internet Mapping Site. Shows Townships, Towns, Roads. (Need high speed connection and disable any pop-up blockers.)
- Download PDF of Plat Map Index of Waukesha County Showing Townships (2 pages).
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Waukesha County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Waukesha County.
- -1st Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company F
- - 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company D
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Companies F and G
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Reorganized, Company C
- - 6th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company K
- - 11th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company D
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Waukesha County Daily Freeman ($ need ancestry.com subscription)
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Waukesha County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Waukesha County Online Genealogy and Family History Library
- US GenWeb Archives, Waukesha County
- Linkpendium Waukesha County
- WI GenWeb Waukesha County
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society
- ancestry.com Waukesha County Search ($ need ancestry.com subscription)
- Cyndi's List Wisconsin Page (scroll down or search down to "Waukesha")
- Live Roots - Waukesha County Page
- Wis Genealogy Trails - Waukesha County Page
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 16 December 2014, at 18:53.
- This page has been accessed 9,773 times.