Wayne County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Wayne County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
County CourthouseWayne County Courthouse
609 Azalea Dr;
Waynesboro, MS 39367-0000
Clerk Chancery Court has marriage, burial, divorce
probate, court and land records. 
The county is named after Revolutionary War General "Mad" Anthony Wayne (1745-1796).
For tips on accessing Wayne County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Civil War service men from Wayne County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Wayne County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company H - McGriff’s Company
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information see Mississippi Taxation.
- 1881-1916 - Wayne County Marriage Books 1-4 Index 1881-1916 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Wayne County, Mississippi page 383, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 11 May 2013, at 17:34.
- This page has been accessed 1,440 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More