Welney, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Welney, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Downham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1642; For more records see Upwell|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1710|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
WELNEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Upwell, union of Downham, partly in the hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, and partly in the hundred of Clackclose, W. division of Norfolk, 10 miles (S. W.) from Downham. 
Welney is a chapelry in Upwell Ancient Parish in Norfolk. Welney is partly in Cambridgeshire and partly in Norfolk. The chapelry is physically located in Norfolk. See also Welney, Cambridgeshire.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Partly in Camridgeshire until 1889
Welney, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Welney, Norfolk Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Registers for this parish are deposited at Cambridgeshire Archives.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438850.
Poor Law Records
Records of wills administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Norfolk: Welney on GenUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp.506-509. Date accessed: 05 August 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 21 February 2014.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ 'National Burial Index - Norfolk Coverage,' findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 16 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 19 November 2014, at 17:15.
- This page has been accessed 664 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page