West Carroll Parish, LouisianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to West Carroll Parish Louisiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|West Carroll Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 28, 1877|
|County Seat||Oak Grove|
|Address|| 305 East Main Street|
Oak Grove, LA 71263
1877--West Carroll Parish was created 28 March 1877 from Carroll (Old) Parish.
Parish seat: Oak Grove 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Louisiana Parishes see: Louisiana Parishes with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- LA Tombstone Transcription Project ~ partial records and photos ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Interment.net ~ LA cemetery records by county
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
- FindaGrave.com ~ cemetery records with search by cemetery, by surname
|West Carroll Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for West Carroll Parish, Louisiana. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories. Louisiana Museums
Civil War Regiments. Service men in West Carroll Parish, Louisiana served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in West Carroll Parish, Louisiana:
- - 6th Battalion Arkansas Cavalry (Confederate), Company D
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as West Carroll Parish, Louisiana newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Carroll+parish+Louisiana+Newspapers&qt=results_page WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a West Carroll Parish, Louisiana Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the West Carroll Parish, Louisiana clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- West Carroll Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- LAGenWeb - Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb ~ Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects
- Louisiana Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- West Carroll Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., West Carroll Parish, Louisiana p 293 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- This page was last modified on 23 September 2014, at 15:09.
- This page has been accessed 4,003 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki