West End, Hampshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to West End, Hampshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|West End, Hampshire|
|Poor Law Union||South Stoneham|
|Registration District||South Stoneham|
|Parish registers: 1840|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Record Office|
WESTEND, a chapelry in South Stoneham parish, Hants; near Portswood r. station, and 3¼ miles NNE of Southampton. It was constituted in 1840; and it has a post-office under Southampton.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
West End parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|WEST END PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- findmypast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Genealogy from Periodicals
Pither, John S. The Three P's. Family trees and history of Abraham Pither who married Sarah surname unknown, some are at Shifield, some at Reading and some at Mortimer, West End. Tree is dated from 1776-1991. Article in The Hampshire Family Historian, vol. 18, no.2, August 1991, pages 110-111., Family History Ref. 942.27 B2h
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
- This page was last modified on 9 January 2016, at 20:44.
- This page has been accessed 2,213 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News