West Feliciana Parish, LouisianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to West Feliciana Parish Louisiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1824|
|County Seat||St. Francisville|
|Address|| 4785 Prosperity Street|
St. Francisville, LA 70775
West Feliciana Parish Courthouse
4789 Prosperity Street
Saint Francisville, LA 70775
Parish Clerk has marriage records from 1879,
divorce, probate and court recordsd from 1900
and land records from 1811.
1824--West Feliciana Parish was created 17 February 1824 from Feliciana (old) Parish.
Parish seat: Saint Francisville 
See an interactive map of West Feliciana Parish boundary changes.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- East Baton Rouge
- East Feliciana
- Pointe Coupee
- West Baton Rouge
- Wilkinson County, Mississippi
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- LA Tombstone Transcription Project ~ partial records and photos ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Interment.net ~ LA cemetery records by county
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
- FindaGrave.com ~ cemetery records with search by cemetery, by surname
|West Feliciana Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories. Louisiana Museums
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
Regiments. Service men in West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana:
- - 1st Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company C
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Feliciana+parish+Louisiana+Newspapers&qt=results_page WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Place-name search for these and other records in the Family History Library Catalog (For instructions see FHL Catalog Place-name Search).
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- LAGenWeb - Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb ~ Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects
- Louisiana Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., West Felicia Parish, Louisiana p 293 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "West Feliciana Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22125.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02. ; Report on the Population of the United States at the Eleventh Census, 1890. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1895.
- This page was last modified on 12 October 2013, at 01:40.
- This page has been accessed 3,219 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More