West Malling, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to West Malling, Kent family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|West Malling, Kent|
West Malling St Mary Kent
|Poor Law Union||Malling PLU|
|Parish registers: 1698|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1716|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
MALLING, WEST, or Town-Malling (St. Mary), a parish, the head of a union, and formerly a markettown, in the hundred of Larkfield, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 5¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Maidstone, and 29 (S. E. by E.) from London. Here is a place of worship for Baptists. 
West Malling (or in some historical sources Town Malling) is a village and civil parish in the Tonbridge and Malling District of Kent,see West Malling Wikipedia
West Malling St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Rochester; other churches in West Malling include St Thomas More (Roman Catholic) and the Swan Street Baptist Chapel. The Parish Church boundary map may be found at A church near you
The parish church of St Mary the Virgin has been designated as a grade II* listed building British Listed Building and is part of a group of listed monuments surrounding the nave of the church.
West Malling Free Church Swan Street West Malling has been designated as a grade II listed building British listed building
This parish was from 1837 in the Malling registration district See Maidstone Registration District
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
West Malling, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|West Malling, Kent Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1698-1817||1698-1817; 1754-1823 (banns)||1698-1817|
Images for West Malling are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1831
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 216-221. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 13 November 2013.
- ↑ Kent Online Parish Clerks, accessed 20 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 4 June 2014, at 14:02.
- This page has been accessed 1,881 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki