West Newton, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to West Newton, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|West Newton, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Freebridge Lynn PLU|
|Registration District||Freebridge Lynn|
|Parish registers: 1560|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
NEWTON, WEST (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (N. N. E.) from Lynn. 
West Newton St Peter and St Paul is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich and one of the Sandringham Estste churches.
It has a fourteenth century tower and most of the rest of the church was rebuilt in 1880 after the Estate was purchased by the Prince of wales who commissioned Arthur Bloomfield to carry out the rebuilding.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
West Newton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|WEST NEWTON PARISH Online Records|
This parish's registers do not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
| Baptisms and burials 1600-1603, 1623-1636, 1668-1812 Marriages 1600-1603, 1623-1636, 1670-1811
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526744 Item 2
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438857.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: West Newton on GenUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 413-415. Date accessed: 05 August 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 19 November 2014, at 17:40.
- This page has been accessed 868 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More