West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
United States West Virginia
Guide to West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Welcome to West Virginia, Mountain State
The settlement of present-day West Virginia began in the mid-1700s when Scotch-Irish and German settlers from Pennsylvania came to the area that is now Berkeley and Greenbriar counties. Heavy settlement began in the 1760s after Indian claims had been settled. These pioneers were generally from Pennsylvania, Maryland, and other northern states and not from Virginia or other areas east of the mountains.
|How to Find Information about West Virginia Ancestors|
Did You Know?
- For the missing portions of the 1810 census use Schreiner-Yantis, Netti. A Supplement to the 1810 Census of Virginia: Tax Lists of the Counties for Which the Census is Missing. Springfield, Va: Genealogical Books in Print, 1971. FHL book 975.5 R4s This includes information from Cabell, Greenbrier, Hardy, and Tazewell counties, and 15 Virginia counties that are missing from the 1810 census. Did you know you can find your infamous West Virginia ancestors at West Virginia Blacksheep Ancestors?
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- How to order West Virginia Vital Records
- State of West Virginia County & City Government Court links
- Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps and Atlases
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- List of West Virginia Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- History & Facts of West Virginia Counties
- The West Virginia GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- Family Tree Encyclopedia - Terminology & Meanings of Genealogical Terms
- Printable Genealogy Forms used in Research
- BYU Research Outline for for West Virginia
- Join a Community of Ohio researchers! Ask questions, help others, and share your research successes on Facebook and/or Skype.
FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
Online collections containing these records are located in FamilySearch.org
Wiki articles describing these collections are found at:
- West Virginia Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- West Virginia County Birth Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- West Virginia Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- West Virginia County Death Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- West Virginia County Marriage Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- West Virginia Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- West Virginia Will Books (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Obtain additional help
- Call or chat with an experienced researcher
- Join a Facebook Group
- Consult a Professional Genealogist
Links to articles, subcategories and images under the Category West Virginia
Things You Can Do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here:
- This page was last modified on 23 November 2014, at 03:20.
- This page has been accessed 37,935 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page