West Virginia Archives and LibrariesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The following archives, libraries, and societies have collections or services helpful to West Virginia genealogical researchers.
National Archives—Mid-Atlantic Region (Downtown Philadelphia)
900 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107-4292
National Archives– Mid-Atlantic Region (Northeast Philadelphia)
14700 Townsend Road
Philadelphia, PA 19154-1025
West Virginia Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 249
Elkview, WV 25071
The Allegheny Regional Family History Society
Post Office Box 1804
Elkins, West Virginia 26241
Archives and History Library - Division of Culture and History
The Cultural Center
1900 Kanawha Boulevard East
Charleston, WV 25305-0300
Library of Virginia (State Library)
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219-8000
- The Library of Virginia is an important resource for pre-1863 West Virginia research.
West Virginia Collection
West Virginia University Library
P.O. Box 6069
Morgantown, WV 26506-6069
- A useful guide to this collection is James W. Hess, Guide to Manuscripts and Archives in the West Virginia Collection. Morgantown, West Virginia. West Virginia University Library, 1974. FHL book 975.4 A5h The 1959 edition by Charles Shetler, is on film 940918 item 4
To learn more about the history and record-keeping systems of West Virginia counties, use the 13 inventories of the county archives published by the Historical Records Survey around 1940. The Family History Library has copies of all of these inventories. These are listed in the Family History Library Catalog under WEST VIRGINIA - ARCHIVES AND LIBRARIES.
The Historical Records Survey also compiled unpublished (manuscript) inventories for the records of most West Virginia counties. These are available on microfilm at the Family History Library. These are listed in the Family History Library Catalog under WEST VIRGINIA, [COUNTY] - COURT RECORDS - INVENTORIES, REGISTERS, CATALOGS.
- An online listing of many West Virginia Archives and societies is at the West Virginia State Archives
- A resource for locating archives in Appalachia is:
- Ellen Garrison, Archives in Appalachia: A Directory (Boone, North Carolina: Appalachian Consortium Press, 1985). At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 975 A3a. Includes Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia arranged alphabetically by state, then by the name of the repository. Each entry lists the archive, its address, phone number, inclusive dates of the collection, the records of the collection, what subjects are covered by the collection, and the size of the collection. There are two indexes: Record type, and Subject, with reference numbers corresponding to the repository.
West Virginia Online Records
- This page was last modified on 10 May 2013, at 22:40.
- This page has been accessed 2,278 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More