West Virginia Naturalization Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
Question #1: I am looking for Petition records before 1919. Are they available?
Answer #1: There are two browse points with these records before 1919. The titles of the record books were different for these years, so the browse points reflect the names of the record books. The records in the browse point Naturalization Records, 1902-1929 are actually Petitions for Naturalization Vol 1 for the years 1907-1913. The records in the browse point Naturalization Records, 1913-1919, v. 2 are Petitions for Naturalization Vol 2, 1913-1919. They are the first in the series that is later titled Petition Records Vol 3-6 dates 1919-1927.
Question #2: The Collection Description includes Greenbrier, Ohio, and Wood Counties, but there are no County browse points for these counties. Where can these missing records be found?
Answer #2: These counties are not included as browse points in the collection. Several counties in Virginia seceded from the Confederate state during the American Civil War. They formed the new state of West Virginia which was admitted to the Union on June 20, 1863, and was a key Civil War border state. With this in mind, applicable films for the 3 counties are listed below:
- The Greenbrier County naturalization records are found on the microfilm 1637591, Items 2-3.
- The Ohio County naturalization records are found on the microfilms 1871956, Items 2-5 and 1871957. You may find records of interest in Film 1872414 Item 7, Aliens declarations, 1855-1860.
- The Wood County naturalization records are found on the microfilm 1871228, Item 3.
These microfilms can be ordered online by clicking on the film numbers in the Catalog. For instructions on ordering microfilm and how to find a FamilySearch Center near you where you can view the films please see: Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche.
There are no microfilm listings in the Catalog for naturalization records for the remaining 23 West Virginia Counties.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- If browsing this collection: please include the full path you followed to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the Image viewer window.
For example: West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991 > Clay > Petition Records, 1921-1928 > Image 6 of 13.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the West Virginia Naturalization Records Learn More page.
Return to the West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 5 June 2014, at 18:36.
- This page has been accessed 289 times.