West Wretham, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to West Wretham, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|West Wretham, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Thetford PLU|
|Parish registers: 1783|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
WRETHAM, WEST (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Thetford, hundred of Shropham, W. division of Norfolk, 5½ miles (N. N. E.) from Thetford. 
West Wretham St Lawrence was an Ancient Parish in the Dioces of Norwich in the Rockland deanery.
The church has been in ruins since the 1840's.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Thetford 1837-1935
- with Lynford 1935-1938
- Wayland 1939-1974
West Wretham, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|West Wretham, Norfolk Online Parish Records|
Combined parish registers for East Wretham with West Wretham are available online at Family Search Historic record Collection for Norfolk Parish registers.
East Wretham Norfolk Record Office reference PD 487/1-5
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438865.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- West Wretham on GenUKI
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 695-698. Date accessed: 06 August 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- This page was last modified on 30 November 2014, at 06:25.
- This page has been accessed 1,804 times.