Westchester New York Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Westchester Family History Center (FHC) is one of only two FHCs in Westchester County. The other FHC in Westchester is the Yorktown FHC in Ossining.
Center Contacts and Hours
- To see a map of our location, click on Google Map.
- 60 Wayside Lane, Scarsdale, NY 10583, United States
- The Family History Center (FHC) is located on the west side of the building, adjacent to the smaller of the two parking lots. The doors on the west side are open. So, if you park in the larger parking lot, you will need to walk around the front of the;building to get to the open doors.
- 1 914-472-3186
- Wednesday:7:00pm - 9:00pm
- Thursday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Saturday: 10:00am - 1:00pm
The Westchester FHC is also closed for the month of August each year.
- The Westchester FHC is closed the week of Thanksgiving as well as the week between Christmas and New York's Day. Call the FHC for the exact dates closed at year end.
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog is available for your use on the computers within the Westchester FHC. This is the same catalog that you would see if you were using your own computer at home. The newer link is: https://www.familysearch.org/catalog-search
- The Westchester FHC has an extensive collection of over 1,800 microfilms available on extended loan which all can use for free. To see what is available, see the binder in the FHC showing a listing either by microfilm/fiche number or by locality. Included are the many microfilms of the Irish Civil Registration indexes.
- The Westchester FHC also has an extensive book collection that can be used within the facility.
- The complete collection of the Pedigree Resource File (c) CDs is available for use within the FHC.
- Additionally, there are several files in PDF format on the FHC computers which provide instruction in the basics of genealogy. The patrons can use them in the FHC and copy them to a USB flash drive so that they can take them home to review.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions, including Ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, Fold3 (formerly Footnote), World Vital Records, among other premium websites.
Hardware and Equipment
Available to partons are:
- 4 computers with Internet connections
- 6 microfilm readers
- 2 microfiche readers
- 2 film/fiche printers.
The staff of the Westchester FHC provides research help to our patrons. We do not perform the research for you, but we do try to answer your questions and suggest possible sources.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
- Westchester County Genealogy Society: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nywcgs/
- NYGenWeb for Westchester County: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nywestch/
- Westchester County Archives: archives.westchestergov.com/
- Westchester County Historical Society: www.westchesterhistory.com/
- FamilySearch.org's Wiki page for Westchester County: www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Westchester_County,_New_York
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
The Westchester FHC is always in need of volunteers. If you can volunteer two or more hours during the week, please leave your name and phone number with the staff and our director will contact you. You don't need to be an expert in genealogy to volunteer. It is only through the generosity of our volunteers that we can keep the facility open. So, please consider volunteering.
- This page was last modified on 31 July 2014, at 15:55.
- This page has been accessed 1,515 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki