Weston-super-Mare St John the Baptist, SomersetEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Weston-super-Mare St John the Baptist, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Weston-super-Mare St John the Baptist, Somerset|
|Poor Law Union||Axbridge PLU|
|Parish registers: 1668|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1599|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
WESTON-SUPER-MARE (St. John), a parish, in the union of Axbridge, hundred of Winterstoke, E. division of Somerset, 9 miles (N. W.) from Cross. An additional church, dedicated to Emmanuel, and situated near the railway station, at the entrance of the town, was consecrated in October 1847. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Weston-super-Mare St John the Baptist, Somerset parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|WESTON SUPER MARE ST JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH Online Records|
Weston Super Mare Holy Trinity parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|WESTON SUPER MARE HOLY TRINITY PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474608.
Genealogy from Periodicals
Mattravers, Philip. The Matravers Family.
History and Family Tree of the Mat(t)ravers family of Joseph and Elizabeth Matravers of Donyatt, Taunton, Weston-Super-Mare and Chippenham. Article covers 1780-1929, and is to be found in The Family History Journal of the South East Hampshire Genealogical Society, no. 5, February 1975, pages 100-102, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2f
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 27 SEptember 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 17 October 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Somerset, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 21 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 29 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 22:00.
- This page has been accessed 1,097 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More