Wheaton's Company, Georgia Artillery (Chatham Artillery) (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Formed at Savannah, Georgia, during the early spring of 1862 with men from Chatham County.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Jones, Charles C. Historical sketch of the Chatham Artillery during the Confederate struggle for independence. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990).FHL 6082341 fiche
- Wheaton, John F.Reminiscences of the Chatham Artillery during the war, 1861-1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990)FHL608234
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- This page was last modified on 31 January 2013, at 17:22.
- This page has been accessed 677 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki