Wheelock, VermontEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Wheelock was chartered on November 8, 1780 by the Vermont Legislature.
The charter was issued to John Wheelock and the trustees of Dartmouth College and Moor's Charity School. Wheelock is thus the only town in Vermont ever to have been chartered to an organization wholly outside of the state.
As late as the mid-l800's the rentals paid by Wheelock tenants continued to provide a large percentage of the permanent funds for Dartmouth College, and some lands in the town are still held under long-term rentals from the college.
In 1828, Dartmouth President Nathan Lord was in Wheelock collecting rents, and was heard to invite any person of Wheelock who wanted to go to college to come down to Dartmouth, where they would get free tuition. Fifty years passed before anyone actually took him up on his invitation. In total, only eight students from Wheelock have taken advantage of Lord's offer. A man of the Class of 2005 is the most recent.  
Town of Wheelock, Vermont's gift to Dartmouth College, by Eleanor Jones Hutchinson (1961) - find this book in a library .
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Wheelock is Caledonia
Caledonia Probate Division
1126 Main St, Ste 1
St Johnsbury, VT 05819
Phone: (802) 748-6605
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Wheelock. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Caledonia County, website at this link.
- Drown Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Horne Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Old Wheelock Village Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- South Wheelock Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Sulfur Spring Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- West Wheelock Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1792-2001, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Wheelock Town Clerk's Office. These include Land records, 1785-1902; indexes to land records, 1785-1992, and Vital statistics, 1857-1939, indexes to vital statistics, 1785-1992.
Wheelock Town Clerk
1192 Vermont 122
Wheelock, VT 05851
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1328 Lyndonville, VT 05851
Libraries and Historical Societies
Northeast Kingdom Genealogy - Genealogy resources for towns in the counties of Essex, Orleans and Caledonia.
- ↑ About Wheelock, Vermont - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/wheelock.html#about
- ↑ Wheelock, Vermont - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/CaledoniaWheelock.html
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:39.
- This page has been accessed 831 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News