Whissendine, RutlandEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Whissendine, Rutland ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Oakham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1577|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1707|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Rutland Record Office|
WHISSENDINE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of Alstoe, county of Rutland, 4½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Oakham.
WHISSENDINE, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands 1¾ mile SSW of a station of its own name on the Syston and Peterborough railway, and 4¼ NNW of Oakham. There are two Methodist chapels.
The Victoria County History of Whissendine (1935) is available. It includes a history of the manor, church, advowson, and charities.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Whissendine, Rutland parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|WHISSENDINE PARISH Online Records|
Deposited records are found at the Leicester and Rutland Record Office
Diocese of Peterborough : Whissendine Bap 1577 - 1936 Marr 1577 - 1962 (Banns to1979) Bur 1577 - 1934
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474578.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Rutland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 05 December 2013.
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72. Adapted. Date accessed: 05 December 2013.
- ↑ A History of the County of Rutland, Volume 2 (1935). A History of the County of Rutland. Adapted. Date accessed: 05 December 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Rutland, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 April 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:49.
- This page has been accessed 1,053 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page