White Plains Maryland Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Family History Center article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Review the instructions and guidelines for FHC pages.
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The White Plains Family History Center serves the Charles County area of Southern Maryland.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 4560 Padgett Road, White Plains, MD 20695
- The Family History entrance is on the east side of the church. The door is usually locked but there is a doorbell. Please park in the parking lot on the north side of the church.
- (Link to map using White Plains Maryland Family History Center or other map sites)
Tuesday - Friday 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Tuesday, Wednesday, 3rd Thursday 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Closed when Charles County Schools are closed due to inclement weather.
When Charles County Schools open late due to weather the morning shifts will close and the evening shifts will be open.
Due to the passing of one of our staff, the FHC will be closed Thursday December 12, 2013.
Thanksgiving: Closed the Wednesday before, reopens the Monday following.
Christmas: For 2013 closed from Monday December 16, 2013 through Wednesday January 1, 2014. Reopens Thursday January 2, 2014.
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- The White Plains Family History Center has a small collection of books and microfilms which primarily focus on Southern Maryland research.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- This center has eight computers, two printers, two microfilm readers, one microfiche reader and a microfilm/microfiche scanner to assist patrons in their research.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
The Southern Maryland Studies Center (SMSC) was founded by the College of Southern Maryland in 1976 in order to provide a central location for research on this historically important region. Students, historians, genealogists, and community members use SMSC’s resources to study the culture and development of Charles, Calvert, St. Mary’s, and southern areas of Anne Arundel and Prince George’s Counties. Visitors will find a variety of materials for historical, cultural, and genealogical research. The Southern Maryland Studies Center is located within the Library (LR Building) at the College of Southern Maryland’s main campus in La Plata, Maryland, Room LR 211. The Reading Room of the Southern Maryland Studies Center has the same hours of operation as the College of Southern Maryland Library. The archival collections are available during the hours of 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. The address is 8730 Mitchell Road, PO Box 910, LaPlata, Md. 20646-0910.
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
- This page was last modified on 12 December 2013, at 01:20.
- This page has been accessed 444 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More