Whitehaven Holy Trinity, CumberlandEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This is a new page from which the collective pages for Whitehaven in Cumberland will connect including the three Parishes that were created in this town. All other records not related to the three Church of England parishes should be put on this page.
Guide to Whitehaven Holy Trinity, Cumberland ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Whitehaven Holy Trinity, Cumberland|
|Hundred||Allerdale above Derwent|
|Poor Law Union||Whitehaven PLU|
|Parish registers: 1715|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1717|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland|
|Location of Archive|
|Cumberland Record Office|
WHITEHAVEN, a sea-port, market-town, newly enfranchised borough, and the head of a union, in the parish of St. Bees, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 40 miles (S. W.) from Carlisle. Whitehaven contains four chapels: St. James, St. Nicholas, Holy Trinity and Mount Pleasant. There are places of worship for Presbyterians, Particular Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics.
The church was located at the junction of Roper Street and Scotch Street but was demolished in 1949.
The church was a plain stone building of an apsidal chancel, nave, aisles and western tower with pinnacles, containing clock and one bell. Picture of front of church in Hay, page 105.
1714-5 – Church erected by subscription, including £100 by Sir James Lowther who was in 1755 buried in the church. The church was consecrated 2 October 1715 by the Bishop of Chester.
1835 – 11 August – Holy Trinity, along with St Nicholas and St James were carved out of the mother parish of St Bees.
1935 – Parish of Holy Trinity united with Christ Church
1949 – Building demolished, on grounds it was unsafe.
1977 – 24 February – Unification of parishes of Holy Trinity with Christ Church, St James and St Nicholas. Rev. Alan J. Postlethwaite installed as first vicar of Whitehaven on 30 June 1977.
Source: Hay, Daniel. Whitehaven: An Illustrated History. Whitehaven, Cumbria: Michael Moon. Revised and enlarged edition 1979 p. 105
Parish register transcript, Whitehaven, Cumberland Co., England : St. Nicholas Chapel Christ., Jan-Dec 1807 and funerals Jan. 1807; Holy Trinity Chapel Christ., Apr 1803-Nov. 1812, marriages May 1803-Feb. 1812 and deaths Mar 1803-Mar 1812
Bishop's transcripts for Holy Trinity Newchaple, Whitehaven, 1717-1856 Online Records =====
Some online transcriptions exist for this chapelry at the following website[s] and ranges of years:
|FMP = findmypast (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|JOIN = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk - (£) (£)|
|HOLY TRINITY Chapelry (1717) Online Records|
|ST BEES PARISH (1538) Online Records - to which Holy Trinity is attached|
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. Two popular sites are:
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241277.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cumberland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Harbour Map - Whitehaven is one of the best examples in England of a port that develops by adding quays, which were constructed from the late 17th century to the addition of lock gates in 2002. A map showing the construction dates of the breakwater and quays is found on page 45 in The Industrial Archaelogy of Docks & Harbours. By Michael Stammers. Stroud, Gloucestershire: Tempus. 2007. (192 pp)
Whitehaven Holy Trinity on GENUKI
Cook, Anne. Images of England: Around Whitehaven. Stroud, Gloucestershire: Tempus. 1998. (128p). Two photographs per page with detailed captions, covering: early Whitehaven, Whitehaven Castle: Major Streets of Whitehaven; Trades and Occupations; Entertainment.
Hay, Daniel. Whitehaven: An Illustrated History. Whitehaven, Cumbria: Michael Moon. 1966, third impression 1994. (215p). Extensive text. Best and most detailed history of the town. FHL - 942.85/W1 H2h
Routledge, Alan, W. Then & Now: Whitehaven. Stroud, Gloucestershire: Tempus. 1999. (96p). Text with extensive photographs, covering: Harbour; Streets and Buildings; Mining Industry; Shipbuilding & Safety at Sea; Entertainment and Leisure; Local Industries.
Routledge, Alan, W. Images of England: Around Whitehaven - The Second Edition. Stroud, Gloucestershire: Tempus. 2001. (128p). Two photographs per page with detailed captions, covering: St. Bees and the Preston Isle; Industrial Scene - Kells and the Preston Isle; Ginns to South Harbour; South Harbour; Lowther Street to Corkicle; Scotch Street, High Street and Brackenthwaite; King Street, Market Place and Howgill Street; Shipbuilding and the North Harbour; Tangier Street and Local transport; Parton and Lowca.
Routledge, Alan, W. History & Guide: Whitehaven. Stroud, Gloucestershire: Tempus. 2001. (128p) Good modern history of town. Addresses: early history, extensively examines Lowther's and 17th Century development; American connections; John Paul Jones; Shipbuilding; local industries; Marchon products; inns and travel, includes illustrated walking tour of harbour area.
- This page was last modified on 12 December 2014, at 18:55.
- This page has been accessed 3,645 times.