Whitsbury, WiltshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Whitsbury, Wiltshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Cawden and Cadworth|
|Poor Law Union||Fordingbridge PLU|
|Parish registers: 1714|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1780|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Wiltshire Record Office|
Guide to Whitsbury, Wiltshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
WHITSBURY, or Whitchbury (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Fordingbridge, hundred of Cawden and Cadworth, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wiltshire, 3½ miles (N. by W.) from Fordingbridge. It is situated on the highest land between Hants and Wiltshire.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Whitsbury, Wiltshire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NIM = Nimrod Research - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|WHITSBURY PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464193.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Wiltshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 555-557. Date accessed: 4 April 2013.
- ↑ 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013. Date ranges are not clearly identified.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hampshire, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 5 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Wiltshire Parish Explorer,' Nimrod Research, accessed 8 January 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 2 October 2013.
- This page was last modified on 4 November 2014, at 22:37.
- This page has been accessed 1,499 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More