Whittington, ShropshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Whittington, Shropshire family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
In 1848 - WHITTINGTON (St. John the Baptist),a parish, in the hundred of Oswestry, N. division of Shropshire, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Oswestry. There is a chapel at Frankton, about three miles from the village; and the Brownists and Bryanites have places of worship. 
The parish of Whittington originally formed part of the Welsh Diocese of St Asaph. However, following the disestablishment of the Anglican church in Wales in 1920, the parish was transferred to the English Diocese of Lichfield.
Halston, formerly extra-parochial, now lies within Whittington Parish.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474587. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
The parish of Whittington formed part of the Oswestry Registrar's District.
The following records of Whittington are available on the IGI:
Whittington parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|MLOC = Mel Lockie website - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|WHITTINGTON PARISH (1591) Online Records|
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1662-1840 Marr 1662-1837 Bur 1662-1840
Halston chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|HALSTON CHAPELRY (1686) Online Records|
Nonconformist Church Records
The parish of Whittington formed a sub-district of the Oswestry Registration District and any entries for births, marriages or deaths from 1837 in Whittington will appear as Oswestry in the GRO Indexes.
Oswestry: XVIII (1837-1851); 6a (1852-1946); 9A (1946-1974).
- Ordnance Survey map of Whittington
- Info from GenUKI website
- BBC Shropshire feature on the castle restoration
- This page was last modified on 9 October 2013, at 23:16.
- This page has been accessed 687 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More